8:04 PM

Who says?? ((Beware..images of clay boobs and a butt))


I'm going to admit to a few things here. I become somewhat intimidated by a few things in the sculpting world. I really don't think its anything anyone does on purpose and partly some of it comes from wanting to do so much at once that I can't wrap my mind around any of it. There are so many beautiful fairies out there and yet my heart is with the uggos. I love the trolls and goblins and love to do them so much. BUT they tend not to be a very big challenge to me too and my heart yearns for something a bit harder to do. But, if you look at all the gorgeous sculptures of fairies out there...they are mostly all proportioned correctly...dainty and breath taking. I know a good deal of the collectors look for uniformity in dolls they collect too. Same with the artist associations.

But what if you can make a sculpt that is out of proportion and I mean well out of it and still make them beautiful? Who says they have to be a certain way?? Is this something we have all come to expect or is it out of the norm...I don't think there is any one person that dictates this sort of thing?? So I wonder why I am intimidated to do it?? I hope to accomplish this and make it my calling card. I think people want to see something different.  I welcome the idea of making them look a bit alien-ish....yet with human features. It's hard to explain...but I hope to have the first one done here very soon. I don't think you will notice a few of the  details that are out of proportion until I do a standing sculpt as this one is sitting but maybe a few people will pick it up. I am off to work on her now and will post pics later!!  Until then...keep cool!!

5 comments:

Wendie-kins said...

go with what you feel is right.... after all everyone loved Avatar and those characters werent the normal we've been taught to expect. Being the first to try something new in anything is always difficult, but you gotta follow your heart x

:::Heather~Leigh::: said...

you are absolutely right...thank you Wendie!

~da tigger~ said...

I would LOVE to see different types of fairies out there, instead of just the perfectly proportioned ones.
Some of Guillermo del Toro's movies are amongst my favourites (Pan's Labyrinth, and the two Hellboy movies in particular) because of the really unusual style of fairies and other creatures in them. They are weird, with many of them being rather gangly looking, almost to the point of ugly... but I find them totally fascinating, with a unique strange beauty that I would love to see more of!
So.. I say go for it! We need more of the different, the unusual, the beautiful uglies! I can't wait to see what you create in this area! :-)
*hugs*

Tezza

Anonymous said...

You know it's funny, I started out sculpting the ugliest fairies when everyone else was doing pretty's and no-one understood why. I think fairies are suppose to be trollish and ugly. Like in Brian Froud's book Faeries. Evil little tricky creatures. So you keep doing what you're doing. You're doing it right!

:::Heather~Leigh::: said...

hahaha...thanks, ladies!! I plan on it. I want to try to mix beauty with deformity...in an way...you will see. There is beauty in a deformation if you look at it the right way. Although society tells us its not a pretty thing...I also think society is full of shit. :D Thanks for backing me up!!